Monday, September 1, 2014

Back to Rationing, Making Poppies and WWI


In the local paper.

Yes, we are back!!!!!

Back to WWII wartime rationing, not that we fully left it but we have been having too much "black market" and convenience food due to a hectic shedule and not having the time for all the cooking etc, a lot of time spent away from home etc.......
But I am going to make the time.

Over here in Kiwiland, it has been a cold winter so I have been making lots of pots of warming vege soup which is a meal in itself.  Served with either toast or crunchy croutons.


Yummy vege soup.

Vege soup is so easy to make, just use what ever vegetables you have at hand and how many you want.
This is how I made it last night.

Vege Soup

3 medium potatoes
2 onions
2 large carrots
3/4 cup of soup mix (split peas, lentils, pearl barley)
1 or 2 cups frozen or fresh veges (corn, peas, spinach, beans)
1 or 2 stalks and leaves of celery
2 oxo cubes (vege, chicken or beef)
soya sauce and/or worchestershire sauce (whatever you have)
parsley fresh (if possible)
salt and pepper.

In a large pot add your potatoes, onions and carrots which have been sliced and diced, along with the soup mix and oxo cubes.  Full the pot half way with water, sorry I never measure the amount.
Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for an hour.

At this stage, I grab a fork and mash some of the potatoes and carrots against the side of the pot.  This makes the soup thicker.
Then add a good swig of soya sauce and or worchestershire sauce, celery (chopped) and the other vegetables.  Stir in well.  At this time add parsley if you only have dried.

Leave simmering until needed.
Add fresh parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  
Your soup should be well seasoned.

Serve with a little grated cheese on top if you have any.
Also with hot toast or croutons.
I will post our yummy crouton ideas next time.

Enjoy!!!!


Eggs from our lovely ladies.


Our lovely ladies of the backyard, our chickens,  have been laying lots of lovely eggs for us.  I've got some serious baking to do over the next few days.

Also keeping us occupied on our many train rides and any spare time in the evening, is our poppy making.
We are helping our local libraries with making 2,721 poppies for a display next year commemorating the 2,721 New Zealanders from Kapiti (Paraparaumu, Waikanae and Otaki) who died in WWI.
So far Salem and I have made 900 and we are still going.
I came up with a nice easy crochet pattern which I will post soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Not bad for our first blog post for a while, nice to be back.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you are back as I just discovered your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be back Kim and welcome to our blog. We have lots of things planned so we hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I was about to delete your bookmark due to inactivity of the blog for 18 months and decided to check, lucky I did and welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being patient with me, I have just put up a new blog post today. We are back rationing with gusto so I plan at least a new posting every week. Thank you for bookmarking this blog :-)

      Delete